Total Pageviews

Friday, May 25, 2012

Potting media


        Potting media is one of the most important things we decide in growing healthy vibrant orchids. This is a mix that I make myself and plant probably 80% of my collection in. It consists of tree fern fiber, sponge rock, charcoal and hydroton. I got this mix recipe from the St. Augustine Orchid Society. I plant all my Cattleyas, some Vandas, and most of my Dendrobiums in this mix and they THRIVE. It is a great coarse mix that will not break down like the normal bark mixes out there. This allows for the plants to grow very well and to not be stressed by frequent potting every couple of years. I could probably water every day without having to worry about root rot, which is great, but I only water every 3 days in the late Spring and Summer. The other media I use are coconut husk chips mixed with some sponge rock and charcoal for my Encyclias and Oncidiums. The last media I use is sphagnum most mixed with a little sponge rock for my Phalaenopsis types and Catasetums. Them main point in determining which media to use is your growing conditions and where it sits in the green house.

No comments:

Post a Comment