Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Den. lasianthera 'Sepik Blue'



        Dendrobium lasianthera is a large sized, hot growing epiphyte from damp, humid river and streams in lowland forests of Papua and New Guinea below 100 meters in elevation with terete, erect stems carrying leaves throughout the length and have elliptic, coriaceous, emarginate, alternate leaves. The bloom season is from spring through autumn on an axillary, medium length to 1 to 2' [30 to 60 cm], several to many [10 to 30] flowered raceme with showy flowers that arises from the nodes near the apex of mature leafy canes with water and fertilizer applied evenly year round. The flowers average size is about 2.5 inches.
       This is a plant that I had bought off eBay. As the post yesterday, this is another antelope dendrobium. One of the more colorful dendrobiums in my opinion. This is still a young plant so hopefully it will get much taller and produce way more flowers over time. I have this growing in the coarse mix just as most of my plants do. It consists of tree fern, hydroton, sponge rock and charcoal. I haven't had this plant for too long so this is the first time I have seen it bloom, but I am very happy with the form and bright colors. I have thought about which of my dens. I could hybridize this with to get some really nice bright color formations. The last couple are opening up so I have a little time before the pollen goes bad. This will give me a chance to see what will be blooming somewhat in the future to plan the hybrid out right.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Just wanted to let you know that somebody is using one of the pictures for his eBay auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dendrobium-lasianthera-Sepik-Blue-species-Orchid-Plant-/311631404886?hash=item488eaddf56:g:eNwAAOSwvg9XWchX

    ReplyDelete